This idea came to my mind when I, alongwith Ajoy Singha and Vipul Kocher, were discussing on the agenda of first NCR Testers Monthly Meet (NCRTMM) that we started in December 2010.The main motivation behind developing this idea was to provide an informal space during NCRTMM where testers can discuss the problems that they face and get the resolution from other testers present in the room.
We have already implemented this in the two NCRTMM and attendees have found it beneficial. The testers have utilized this space to resolve the problems that they face in their live projects.
This post of mine will provide the complete details about “Problem on the table”.
What is “Problem on the table”
“Problem on the table” defines a space that allows group of testers to interact in a simple and organized way to enable valuable dialogs that addresses the day to day issues that they get stuck with and want some expert help to get them resolved. This space encourages people to discuss and resolve the issues and be more productive within their organizations.
- No one will control your discussions
- Whoever wants to provide help is the right person
- Allow owner of the problem to steer his or her topic in the right direction
- Always thank individuals whose suggestions have actually helped you
How “Problem on the table” works?
- Come up with some interesting problem area that you would like to discuss during any NCR Testers meet to ITB NCR Chapter with as much detail as possible.
- After receiving an email from your side, there will be a space allocated during the meet to discuss about your “Problem”.
- Anyone attending the meet is free to walk to the designated area for your listed “problem” and provide their frank suggestions.
- It is upto the owner how they would like to steer the discussion.
- At the end of the session, the owner of the “problem” needs to present their “problem area” alongwith the best solution, that fits in their context using a defined template.
Benefits of owning “Problem on the table” session?
- You manage and define your own agenda
- As most of the test experts from the industry are joining the NCR Testers Meet, there is a high probability that you will be able to find the answer to trivial issues that remain unanswered elsewhere.